Founded in 1983, The Wesley Company builds upon a tradition of over 100 years of active involvement in Atlanta’s commercial real estate arena. The son of a pioneer family to Decatur and Atlanta, Tom Wesley Sr. entered the real estate business in 1890 as a banker for Merchants and Mechanics’ Banking and Loan Company during the post-Civil War reconstruction of Atlanta (the 1st urban renewal project in The United States unofficially launched by General William T. Sherman.) Merchants and Mechanics’ Banking and Loan Company was the first tenant in the Grant Building in 1898.
The Tenant Representation element of our business goes back to World War II, when Tom Jr. served in the Pentagon in the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers and, in this capacity, contributed to the formation of Society of Industrial Realtors (SIR), an association of highly qualified real estate professionals, to assist the acquisition and disposition of properties for the Department of War. In the post war era, he represented Southern Bell in the development and leasing of office facilities throughout the Southeastern United States.
Tom the 3rd has represented major listing assignments for Cousins and Holder Properties as well as the significant tenant requirements of Allstate, Lanier, EF Hutton and Smith Barney. In addition to significant other accomplishments, he had the honor of being the first Office Member President of the Georgia Chapter of the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR), the successor organization to SIR.
This legacy continues with the relatively recent association of Jud (the 4th) as an active member of our team.
As long-term members of the community, we feel that we have “A Stake in the community” that requires us to set, and perform by, a higher standard than that expected from more prominent international, national or regional organizations.